Friday, July 19, 2013

HaynMade hits the states part 2, Day 10...

So Friday hit,

And I headed on over for a three hour drive to San Diego to visit some friends who made the move from Hawai'i to San Diego.  My friend hooked me up with a killer seafood pasta dinner and then I headed on over to the city to check out the opening of Amanda Visell's show.


Man, I can't tell you how stoked I was to meet AV in person, and to see her work up close n personal, so super duper cool.  Her paintings are pretty trips, lots of pop of color mixed in with neutrals with a nice undertone of whimsey n humor.

Her custom figs done completely out of wood are unreal.  It's hard to tell in the photos below but a majority of her one off figs have some nice size to 'em, each of 'em are about 10-12 inches n up in height.  Most importantly AV is a pretty cool person.

I didn't want to take too much of her time so I quickly introduced myself and handed her some Hawaiian Host chocolates as a simple way of saying hello and honoring her awesome work and her line of figs which I have in my collection.  Her response was "Holy sh*t, nice to meet you and thanks!  Do you need anything signed?"  I responded, "Nah, it's just an honor having the opportunity to meet you."  We both parted with "Aloha."

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

The vibe at MRKT right at the outskirts of San Diego ComiCon was pretty casual n chill, lots of fans were in the house.  AV gave away free drink holders, classic!

There were also a couple artists who stopped by, like Mr. Bwana Spoons who walked around n stalked story with a bunch of peopz.  And then there was Mr. Frank Kozik, who more on a covert mission and did his own thing.


It was a great evening, and if you ask me was it worth traveling over 2500 miles, $25 to pay for parking and a 5 block walk to meet good ole Amanda Visell?  Mos' def!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE IT!! That's an absolutely stunning picture of a ukelele on the top. LOL The pictures you took at the showing are pretty awesome. Now I'm wanting to look into her art.

    ReplyDelete